[G4] What is 2XAGP G4 screen resolution capability?

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:09:31 PDT 2007

On 8/20/07, John Niven <senseamp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In particular I'm wondering if I can use a 16:10 LCD
> panel with resolution: 1440 x 900?
>
> The machine just has the standard ATI rage video card.
>
> The Apple specs at:
>
> http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/Power_Mac_G4_AGP.html
>
> just give 1280 x 1024 as the max resolution but I know
> I've used it with a 1600 x 1200 monitor so that's just
> bullshit.
>
> Anybody try this?

I haven't tried it, but it should work.  The video card must have
enough memory to support a given resolution.  If your card can do 1600
x 1200 then it has plenty of memory for 1440 x 900.  With that out of
the way, the video drivers have to support the 16:10 modes.  If you're
running a recent version of Tiger then I assume the drivers can handle
16:10 (or 16:9).

I'd give it a shot.  Just check the return policy before you buy a new
monitor, just in case.

--
Rich