[G4] G4 freezing

Robert C. Buitron rcbuitron at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 27 18:04:47 PDT 2007

Robert Walker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running OSX 10.3.9 on a Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
> CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.8)
> Number Of CPUs: 1
> CPU Speed: 450 MHz
> L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
> Memory: 640 MB
> *
> ATY,Rage128Pro:
>
> * Type: display
> Bus: AGP
> Slot: SLOT-A
> VRAM (Total): 16 MB
> Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
> Device ID: 0x5046
> Revision ID: 0x0000
> ROM Revision: 113-63001-108
> *ATA-4 Bus:
>
> Maxtor 6L120P0:
>
> * Capacity: 114.5 GB
> Model: Maxtor 6L120P0
> Revision: BAJ41G20
> Serial Number: L30NZGPH
> Removable Media: No
> Detachable Drive: No
> BSD Name: disk0
> Protocol: ATA
> Unit Number: 1
> Socket Type: Internal
> OS9 Drivers: Yes
>
> *HD 1:
>
> * Capacity: 114.37 GB
> Available: 57.09 GB
> Writable: Yes
> File System: HFS+
> BSD Name: disk0s10
> Mount Point: /
>
> *HD 2:
>
> * Capacity: 16.96 GB
> Available: 312.66 MB
> Writable: Yes
> File System: HFS+
> BSD Name: disk3s6
> Mount Point: /Volumes/HD 2
> *USB Keyboard Hub:
>
> * Vendor Name: ORTEK
> Product ID: 38966 ($9836)
> Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
> Bus Power (mA): 500
>
> *Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM):
>
> * Vendor Name: Microsoft
> Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
> Product ID: 64 ($40)
> Bus Power (mA): 100
>
> *USB Keyboard Hub:
>
> * Vendor Name: ORTEK
> Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
> Product ID: 39009 ($9861)
> Bus Power (mA): 100
>

> My Mac has begun to freeze intermittedly. It seems to occur in any
> application when I am simply moving the mouse. I have run Disk utilities
> several times yet the problem continues. Any insight to this problem
> would be greatly appreciated.
Rob,
Very thorough identifying your devices, but one question I have is, did
you recently add/install any new devices or software? Even if you
haven't, try a process of elimination by disconnecting USB hubs, the
mouse (replace with Apple's mouse if you still have it), and other
peripherals until it's just the CPU and the monitor. If none of the
disconnections do not resolve the problem, then it's time to go through
the software apps, especially utilities and/or firmware (drivers in PC
lingo). Another question is when was the last time you updated anything
on your machine? Another utility that may help is Applejack, which I
think is freeware. Google it and you should get to its web site.

I wish I had an answer for you. Someone else on this list may have
something.

Rob