[G4] Trouble booting G4

Petter Adsen petter.adsen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:24:31 PDT 2007

On 8/30/07, B G <briang113 at pacbell.net> wrote:

> The question mark folder means no valid OS found on a bootable disk.

But why are both my previously bootable disks (and the OS CD) listed when I
booth with the Option key held down then?

> When you boot from the CD/DVD are you restarting with the C key held
> down and the CD/DVD inserted?

Yes, and I've also tried selecting it from the menu I get when I boot with
Option held down. The OS CD should be good, but I tried another, older one
with the same result. Also tried a 9.x CD - same thing happens.

I hadn't used this machine for a couple of weeks, so it has been powered
down. As far as I remember, there were no problems when I used it last. I
just tried to power it on, walked away for a minute to do something while it
booted, and when I got back it was sitting in the open firmware prompt.

Yeah, I know - "I haven't changed anything". I've been sort of suspicious of
my OS X boot disk for a while since I got a couple of error message a month
or so back, but I only got a couple of them and then they stopped, and it's
been working fine until now. But OS 9 is on another disk that also won't
boot, and neither will CD's.

Can I boot off a USB drive? I can try connecting one and try a CD/DVD in
that, but I can't really see why that should make any difference. I guess I
could also try downloading a Linux ISO image of some sort and try that, but
I'm quite certain my boot CD's should be good.

This is no fun at all - I have no idea where to start looking.

Anyone?

Petter