[G4] Trouble booting G4

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Aug 30 14:35:06 PDT 2007

On 08/30/07, "Petter Adsen" <petter.adsen at gmail.com> wrote asking:

> I'm not familiar with Apple's open firmware, and I have no documentation for
> it, so I haven't really been able to do much to debug the problem. Has
> anyone got any idea what might be wrong, things I can try, or pointers to
> documentation I should read that could help me?

More than you ever wanted to know:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60285>. Ignore the fact that it
addresses network server issues. It's applicable to clients, also.

Boot the machine and when it goes into OF, type these in, one at a time, and
hit the return key after each:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

The last reboots the machine.

On 8/30/07, Charles Lenington <macsonly at brightok.net> wrote:

> snip----
> hmmmm, just to rule it out ... have you checked the pram battery?

Nope, how can I do that?

See pg. 71 of your Setting up your PM G4 manual (view or download it at
<http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PowerMacG4_GigEthernetSetup.PDF>).

For other DIY manuals, see See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26246>.

Would that also prevent me from booting off CD?

Probably.