[G4] motherboard vs. pci drive controller

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:36:46 PST 2007

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Your G4 platform should have two hard drive controllers, one is the
plug-in controller card that is located in the last slot next to PCI
slot "D" which should be the one that your hard drives that are located
in the rear of the box. This card interfaces directly to the 100 Meg
buss and gives you a 100 Megabit transfer of data.

Then there is another controller that is part of the mother-board which
connects your SVD/DVR and perhaps a ZIP drive and it is connected to
the 66 Meg. buss and provides a 66 Megabit transfer of data.

So if you add a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI controller card and use that
as your main drive connection it would appear that you will gain a 33%
increase in data, however since your main data buss only operates at
100 Megs, you will not gain any increase in data transfer.

Therefore that only advantage that you will gain is the ability to add
more drives, and you will loose a PCI slot that can be used for other
things.

Best regards,

Harry