[G4] Browsers

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 23:06:04 PST 2007

Just got the digest, which explains the delay in answering.

On 02/04/07, Margaret Krakowiak <imago at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I actually started the DVR thread, and then asked about browsers,
> keeping the same "re:" subject header.
>
> Anyway, I've been heeding the browser discussion, and I've downloaded
> both Opera and Camino to test out. I'm finding Safari to be very
> sloooow. How much memory should I give it? Do you allocate memory in OSX?

No. OS X allocates memory on the fly, using virtual memory (i.e., free
diskspace; that's why people recommend keeping 10-20% of any boot volume
empty/free).

>   I'm still a newbie to OSX, and I'll probably hold off tillspring to upgrade
>from
> what I have, which is 10.2.8. I've spent all my $$ on the internal 250
> gig hard drive, adapter card, and yes (John), I did get an external firewire
> drive too.

Leopard (10.5) is expected to ship this spring (by June 20), but there's
guarantee. Good move WRT to the FWHD, from my point of view.

> Do I have to partition it to put both 9.2.2 and 10 on it? I've alreadybacked
> up a bunch of stuff on it and don't want to initialize it if I don't have to.
>It's HFS
> extended.

No. OS X and 9 can coexist on the same volume. That said, I personally
recommend separating them to minimize conflicts, but you don't have to do that.
How did you back up? Copy from internal to external? I recommend making a
bootable backup (clone) of your new internal HD to the FWHD, using Carbon Copy
Cloner, SuperDuper!, etc.

> I probably should get some more memory, as I have 768:  two
> 128s and a 512. Can my machine use more than a gig? (dual G4, gig ethernet
> model?) I have one slot open. What's the memory max on this machine with X?

I have 1.5 GB, same machine, which, according to Apple's Setting up Guide for
that machine, is 1.536 GB (2x512 + 2x256 sticks).

> Lastly, my DVD superdrive. When I use the eject key on the keyboard,
> the tray slides out and stays, I can take the disk out and put another
> in. But the old disk image stays on the desktop, if I click on it it
>disappears, but
> the new one doesn't mount. If I drag the disk to the trash to eject itworks
>as it should.
> I can live with this, but find it a little odd.

I don't have a superdrive, just the HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-7000 drive that came
with the machine.I agree that it's a bit odd, but at least you have a simple
workaround.