[G4] Router trouble

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Sat Feb 10 15:30:58 PST 2007

Hi Folks,

I am still having trouble connecting to the internet using a router.  I
posted weeks ago and it seemed that my router had died.  Now I have a
new linksys BEFSX41 ver. 2.1.

The lights are a bit different from the lights on the previous model,
but I see the similarity.  This router seems to be doing better, but I
am not there yet.

I connected the router and all the lights went on as they should.  I
configured the router, at least I think I did using Netscape 7.1.  I
should add that my default home page did not come up.  I stopped that
and entered http://192.168.1.1. A LynkSys web page came up.  I just used
the default values.  Then I turned everything off, including the DSL modem.

I turned it all back on again.  No luck with Netscape 7.1 or Safari.

My Network is set to Built-in Ethernet.  The TCP/IP settings are set to
configure Using DHCP.  The IP address, subnet Mask and Router number
seem to be supplied by the router.  I also have an IPv6 Address.

I checked the system logs and found this troubling entry:

Feb 10 14:45:07 localhost ConsoleMessage: Starting network file system
Feb 10 14:45:07 localhost ConsoleMessage: Starting printing services
Feb 10 14:45:08 localhost automount[289]: automount version 57
Feb 10 14:45:08 localhost automount[292]: automount version 57
Feb 10 14:45:12 localhost ConsoleMessage: Loading IP Firewall extension
Feb 10 14:45:12 localhost SystemStarter: Loading IP Firewall extension
Feb 10 14:45:13 localhost SystemStarter: Waiting for Network extensions
Feb 10 14:45:16 localhost kernel: IP packet filtering initialized,
divert enabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to accept,
logging disabled
Feb 10 14:45:16 localhost kernel: IPv6 packet filtering initialized,
default to accept, logging disabled
Feb 10 14:45:16 localhost kernel: IP firewall loaded
Feb 10 14:45:16 localhost ConsoleMessage: Starting internet services
Feb 10 14:45:16 localhost SystemStarter: Starting internet services
Feb 10 14:45:16 localhost xinetd[325]: 325 {init_services} no services.
Exiting...
Feb 10 14:45:18 localhost SystemStarter: Startup complete.

The line about no services is troubling.

I decided to check whether the ethernet part of the router was working.
  By that I mean would my two computers talk to each ohter with the only
conncetion between them being the router.  They will.

It seems as though this router is fine but for some reason I do not have
things properly set.

The only way I can get on the internet is to remover the router.  Any
thoughts?  I really thought that a new router would fix things.

Carol