[G4] 3rd-Party Airport Antennae?

Steve Adams adamss99 at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 23 22:38:41 PST 2007

It might double your power (debatable because their dbi standards are
from imaginary antennae) but that does not mean double your range.
Doubling the power will only increase your range by 25 percent at
best (because it is an omni antenna sending the power in all
directions). Realistically, doubling the power will only increase
your range by about 10 percent.

The biggest advantage from this or any external antenna will come
from increasing the antenna height above ground. Think of it like
your eyes. With you lying on the ground, you might not see very far.
Stand up and you see farther. Stand on the roof and you will see
farther than standing.

The next advantage is the antenna is further away from the computer
case. Metals near the antenna will distort the way the antenna
radiates its signal. Metals far away will block the signal from going
to objects behind the metal.

With this antenna mounted above the screen, I see 2 big advantages -
antenna is higher above ground, and no other metals nearby to
interfere with its radiation pattern.

That particular antenna seems a bit on the expensive side for what it
does. You might want to look around the internet for other antennae
or even try some home-made antenna ideas from the internet. If you
like the way it mounts and guaranteed to work with what you have,
then I say give it a try.

Steve Adams