[G4] G4 450 Harddrive Question

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 07:15:40 PST 2007

Go here to get lots of info:
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4saw.shtml

If you are correct about your model you have a
on-board ATA 66 interface that should have a short
cable with a master and slave connector (same as
PC's). It doesn't matter, where your drive comes from,
but that interface will only support drives up to
128Gb (you can have two if you like. There is a second
interface that serves the DVDrom/ CDrom/ Zip drive.
It's possible to put a third drive where the zip goes,
but it will be slow.

Another way to go is to get a SATA PCI card (like from
Sonnet) and then you can have any moden SATA drive (or
three :-). Personally I'd do that before considering a
CPU upgrade. Also the adverts are correct, you can run
Tiger on your old machine (and it will work better).
Get 1Gb of ram and you will be supprised at how usable
an old Mac is as compared to a modern PC. You might
consider a cd burner/dvdrom as well.

John