[G4] G4 450 Harddrive Question

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 10:42:47 PST 2007

Rob,

I often seem to stand alone, but I think people are
too focused of CPU speed - something the industry has
not discouraged. My first assumption is that people
who are NOT using one of Apples latest offerings (and
are on this list) are interested in maximising their
computer experience on a low budget, either out of
necessity or (in my case) pure bloodymindedness :-)

If you are new to Macs, and have not used OSX, then
that's what you should try first. It's modern, beats
the hell out of M$'s offerings, and runs just fine on
older hardware. It comes with a lot of useful s/w and
a modern browser (you can also use FireFox, same as
your PC).

A 450MHz G4 is not the same as a Pentium. I have a
company-supplied Dell Precision M70 2GHz Pentium M
with 2Gb of ram laptop. I don't use it except for
mandated email use. Instead I use my personal 350MHz
G4 AGP with Tiger and the Office suite.

You will probably have to update the firmware first
(under OS 9). You should be able to install your 40Gb
on top of the original disk. Then you can keep the
original disk as is, and install Tiger on the 40Gb.

Once you are a Mac convert, save your pennies for a
faster machine if you find you really need more power
:-)

John