[G4] Switching internal optical drive to external case

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Wed Jan 10 17:25:18 PST 2007

I gave my little sister a 450MHz Gigabit Ethernet a while back.  It
seemed fine when it was here, but it's been pretty flaky for her since
she got it.  She's in Georgia and I'm in Massachusetts which makes it
tough to fix anything for her.

The biggest problem is that it rarely recognizes any discs inserted into
the optical drive.  It's a Pioneer DVR111 that I bought brand new and
installed just before I sent the computer to her.

I saw this external case go on sale:
http://www.dealsonic.com/plpmsicousb2.html
I figure her disc problems are probably from a failing IDE controller on
the motherboard, so maybe putting the drive in a firewire case will let
her get some use out of it.  How will the G4 (running OS X Tiger) deal
with having an external optical drive, but no internal optical drive?
Has anyone tried this?

--
Thanks,
Rich