[G4] Quicktime MP4 problems!

Thomas J. Fobia tom578 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Jan 13 15:03:11 PST 2007

Richard, Im not getting much information out of those Log files. Maybe
the other information you mentioned that I have inserted below will give
you a clue as to what might be going on with this machine. Thanks for
you suggestions!
Tom

Richard Klein wrote:

> Thomas J. Fobia wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>>    I have a downloaded a drawing lesson that is a video MP4 file. I
>> have a desktop Mac G4 where it doesnt play without jerks and sound
>> dropouts. I burned the file to a CD and took to my laptop where it
>> (the mp4 file) plays without any problems. The difference between the
>> two computer are as follows: (Both using Quicktime 7.1.3)
>>
>> My Desktop G4:
>> Mac OSX 10.4.8; 1.6 Ghz PowerPC G4 (Upgraded Powerlogix processor)
>> Memory: 1.12GB SDRAM
>>
>> ATI Radeon 8500:
>

> All those specs should be good enough to play just about any video
> short of 720- or 1080-line HDTV.  I suspect there's something running
> in the background that's keeping your Mac busy.  I don't have a
> solution but here's a couple things you could try:
> -Click on the Apple icon and select Force Quit...
>  Let us know what programs it lists; maybe we can pinpoint one of them
> as a resource hog.

I did a shutdown, then a restart. Quicktime and still a jerky playback.
Force quit only listed quicktime and the finder.

> -Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac, then click on More
> Info...
>  That puts you in the System Profiler program.  In the last section,
> Software, look at the Logs.  console.log, error_log, and system.log
> are probably the most interesting.  Look for any log entries from
> about the same time as when you were playing the MP4 file.
>
> -Finally, while you're still in System Profiler, look in the last
> section: Startup Items.  Let us know what's listed there.

> Heres the list:

Apache:;
AppleShare:;AppServices:;AuthServer:;CrashReporter:;Disks:;FibreChannel:;
IFCStart:;IPServices:;Macaroni:;Metadata:;NetworkTime:;NFS:;NIS:;
PowerLogix Startup:;PrintingServices:;RemoteDesktopAgent:;SNMP:;Tablet:

> You might want to try playing the file with VLC, too, and see if that
> performs any better than Quicktime.
> VLC was even worse than quiktime!

Back to you Rich!
Tom