[G4] stuck and need to upgrade-resend, last got sent back

Marla mitchnickpictures at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 11:25:36 PST 2007

Hi there Y'all,

I have a G4 dual 450, with over 800MB SDRam but an old
28Gig hardrive that is beginning to show it's years...

I need to upgrade my firmware and OS, desperately, but
I am caught between a rock and a hard place: I
recently (egad) experienced a drive error/failure that
was repaired -for the time being- by the fabulous one
and only Disk Warrior.

The technician who supervised the repair told me that
he gives my old drive "about 2 months." So I'd like to
replace it with a new internal drive. But what about
my software? He also said that you can't always get
all the permissions and that my old software would not
necessarily transfer over. IS THIS TRUE?

My machine belonged to my mom, who teaches at a
University, and it was her school that loaded her up
initially. Then I inherited it.

I called sales at Tekserve and they said no problem,
for $100 on top of the drive price they will transfer
my existing software over. But is this person missing
some subtler sense of what can go awry?

Please advise, thanks,

Marla
PS-Also, that same technician advised NOT to upgrade
the
firmware on this old, recently wonky, drive, he didn't
think it was a good idea. But I am not clear on his
exact reasons, and I do like to be clear...