[G4] stuck and need to upgrade-resend, last got sent back-WOW!

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed Jan 17 05:43:40 PST 2007

At 5:22 AM -0800 1/17/07, Marla wrote:
>Excellent! When I open up my machine though, will it
>be obvious where the new drive goes?

not sure.  Because I cannot visualize your machine. Usually, there is an unused "sled" near the existing drive.  But, try to look for the drive replacement file on Apple for your machine (the URL that I sent you already).  Another clue: the ribbon connector for your new drive will be on the broad, flat ribbon near the old drive, meaning that you can "stray" only so far away from the old drive with the new one.  So, the mounting sled will be in the vicinity.  Remember, too, you need a power connector (spares on that set of wires, too--red, black, yellow and green wires) as well as the IDE connector. And, be sure to connect the IDE connector in the right direction (observe how the red stripe is connected to the old drive--the red stripe is "wire #1" on the ribbon).

>I have only ever
>installed something myself once, and I think it was a
>card.

Go slowly.  Take it easy.  Be careful not to drop anything into the machine.  Be sure to ground yourself to the chassis by touching the metal inner casing, especially in this dry weather, else an electric discharge from your body can do damage to the electronics.

--Steve