[G4] Re: Super Duper Cloning software/Stuck

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed Jan 17 07:11:35 PST 2007

At 6:06 AM -0800 1/17/07, Marla wrote:
>But is it really OK to upgrade my firmware

YES!!!

>(I already
>know which versions I have and need) on this old
>drive? It does seem the simplest thing,

Print out the directions first, before you do it.  Do not trust to memory.  And, don't panic.

>but someone
>told me that in rare cases, upgrading your firmware
>can render your machine useless...

Most usual disaster if if you lose electric power in the middle of the upgrade.  As I recall, you open the firmware upgrade application, tell it to upgrade, let the machine shut down, and (maybe--I forget) hold down the power button as it re-starts or until you hear bongs, or whatever the directions say.  You may see a progress bar.  As long as you have electric power during that process, you are OK.  Just follow the directions, and you will be all right.

>I hate to live in fear, but is this true? And how rare
>is rare?

Personally, I have never heard of a failure.  Other than a loss of power in the middle of things.  If you happen to have had the good sense to connect to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), even that should not be an issue.

--Steve