[G4] Opinions wanted: Best G4 performance upgrade

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:36:48 PST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Eric Hall wrote:

> I guess I could have searched the archives, but I'd like to know the
> current line of thought...
>
> Besides ram, what is the best performance upgrade for a G4 sawtooth?
> Some of the CPU upgrades seem cheap and easy.

A new HD will give you a little boost if your drive is more than a
few years old. With rebates you should be able to find something in
the $30-60 range. If you're trying to maximize the return on your
dollar be aware that most manufacturers don't go out of their way to
tell you that their retails packages often contain their second or
third tier drives, but even those will probably be faster than a
several year old drive.

$180 will get you a 1GHz upgrade from OWC (www.macsales.com). Each
$20-30 gets you another 100-200 GHz. Spending much more than $200
upgrading a Sawtooth doesn't make much sense to me given what you can
get a used or refurb. Intel Mini for.

Phil