[G4] Re: Super Duper Cloning software/Stuck-time for decisions

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Thu Jan 18 11:52:29 PST 2007

This may be off-topic for the G4 list.

I still lurk here, though all three of my Macs no longer are G4s.  My wife uses a G5 iMac; I use an Intel Core Duo iMac and an Intel Core Duo Power Book.  All three, I believe, use SATA drives (not 100% sure about the MacBook).

My external drives will also be SATA and of the same capacity of those that are or will be internal to the two iMacs.  That way, should either of the internals fail, there should be an up-to-date external that can take its place (and I would swap out the failed internal with one as soon as I learn how to open the Intel iMac, that is).  As far as I know, none of the drive applications that I mention use IDE drives.

The external enclosures that I ordered from CoolDrives.com (http://www.cooldrives.com/qucosaiienes.html ) use the new Oxford 924 chip set which adapts SATA drives to both FireWire (both 800 and 400) and USB 2.0, as well as eSATA, output interfaces.  These are expensive and overkill for the G4 community, but would give me all kinds of futureproofing.

Hope this explanation helped,

--Steve