[G4] SCSI Drive Question

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:39:54 PST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Les Berkley wrote:

> I just bought an Adaptec/Apple 2040-U2W SCSI card for my G4 400
> Sawtooth ... It occurred to me that now I can add a SCSI HD, which
> would be a good deal faster than the machine’s ATA-66 interface.
No single drive can saturate the ATA-5 interface you have in your
Sawtooth so you would be better off buying an ATA or SATA drive as any
SCSI drive that would compete with today's fastest ATA/SATA drives
would be both smaller and much more expensive than the ATA/SATA drive.
(An SATA drive would of course require you to buy an SATA PCI card
also.)

The big improvement in hard drive performance came from the switch
from ATA-4 to ATA-5, which defined faster UDMA levels and required 80
wire cables. While an ATA-6 or better interface will be somewhat
faster due to the support of newer features, you will still get most
of the benefit of a new ATA drive using your built-in ATA-5 interface.
The major limitation of ATA-5 is that it will only address up to 128
GiB of drive space. (Without a 3rd party driver which has it's own
limitations.) If you want bigger and faster get an SATA PCI card and
hard drive.
> I vaguely recall that I am limited to 9 or 18GB partitions?
That was only for older beige G3's. The only limitation of your
machine is the 128 GiB size limit I mentioned above.
> Some of the SCSI HDs on eBay look incredibly cheap!
They're cheap because they're old and slow in comparison to any new
7200 RPM ATA/SATA drive. Given that you can get new ATA drives for as
low as $30 with a rebate and not much more without, it just doesn't
make sense to use SCSI drives on a single user machine. Even a year or
two old used ATA drive would be a better value for you.

The best place to check on hard drive performance is http://www.storagereview.com
.

Phil
--
Lanie, I'm going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That's worth going to jail for. That's worth anything. --