[G4] big hard drives-9.1?

Send2Rich at aol.com Send2Rich at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 04:56:13 PST 2007

The boot partition size problem is not the same as the OS 9 2TB access limit.
  Something about large partitions inhibits OS 9's booting very early in the
process - you get an alternating happy Mac and "no system" floppy icon.   I
have personally seen this situation on two separate 500GB drives and two
separate 400GB drives, all of them with single large partitions.   OS 9 boots fine in
a 75GB partition on a 200GB drive.   It also boots fine on a 20GB partition
on a 400GB drive.   Once booted into OS 9, I have had no problem accessing data
on 461GB, 368GB and 348GB partitions - but OS 9 will not boot on any of them.
  Classic under OS X seems to work "OK" (occasional anomalies) on any of
them.

Since the only "documentation" on the OS 9 boot limit is the Apple discussion
reference to 190GB (and I guess my experience above), I'll keep my OS 9 boot
partitions under 190GB.   If anyone figures out how to boot OS 9 on larger
partitions, please let us know the details!

Thanks!
Rich