[G4] Samsung DVD Writer

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Mon Jul 2 09:21:05 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Just wanted to offer an update on my Linux & Mac DVD experiences. My
Fedora Linux installation started acting strange, in that it was
being slow - the mouse cursor would pause and such - so I went back
to good ol' Tiger! By this time, I already had my LG DVD writer
replaced with a Samsung drive that's otherwise the same. It's a
LightScribe drive and burns every format short of the new HD stuff.

Happily I can report that anyone wanting such a hardware upgrade for
a G4 can likely not worry - this model doesn't have the sleep/freeze
issue that my LG was having. iTunes and Disk Utility are able to burn
with it. I have yet to test LightScribe, due to both lack of software
and lack of compatible discs. It's unfortunate that it only includes
Nero software and some other Windows stuff.

And that's all I've got!

Eric