[G4] G4 won't read OS X upgrade CDs

ewood at izoom.net ewood at izoom.net
Thu Jul 12 23:39:59 PDT 2007

I was unaware of any difference between the kernel used on one PowerPC Mac
and another. Even Linux uses one kernel for all supported machines of a
particular architecture. I think if the 533 can't upgrade an installed
system, but it is capable of booting from a Panther or Tiger CD or DVD,
then Mr. Minger ought to install that system fresh. If it's not reading
the discs, try a different optical drive in that machine.

Eric

> Greetings ( + )!( + )
>
> Just a word about the Mac (Unix) core file and kernel, I don't think
> that the kernel for the 450 will run the 533 without problems.
>
> On Jul 12, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:
>
>> David Minger NPG Cable wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've got a whole range of Macs from 68K up through G5s. I have 2 G4s
>>> (a 450 and a 533). I've been able to keep the 450 updated to the
>>> latest OS X, but the 533 is stuck a couple of feline animals into the
>>> past. For whatever reason it will not handle the upgrade CDs that the
>>> 450 handles just fine.
>>> The 533 OS is therefore getting more and more out of date.
>>> Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix?
>>> Best,
>>> David