[G4] G4 won't read OS X upgrade CDs

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Sat Jul 21 12:34:43 PDT 2007

At 21:14 -0700 on 07/17/2007, David Minger NPG Cable wrote about Re:
[G4] G4 won't read OS X upgrade CDs:

>Thanks Ben, Ronald and everyone else who replied.
>
>Yes, the situation is that I cannot boot from the install DVD even
>if I restart and hold down C.
>
>I think I am left with swapping out drives and trying again.
>
>Question: (a) any online tips / procedures for swapping out the drive?
>
>Thanks again -- I appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions and
>will reread all the advice.

Put the DVD in the drive after you've booted into MacOS X. Now select
Start Up Disk from System Preferences and see if the DVD shows up.
If not, then the DVD is not bootable (or you do not have a DVD
Drive). If it shows up then select the DVD and restart (it should now
boot off it). Do not worry about pointing at the DVD Drive since once
it is removed, the system will give the Folder with Question Mark
logo and then boot off your Hard Drive (Do not forget to reset the
Boot Drive back  to the Hard Drive or it will continue to do this
until you do). You can also try booting with the DVD in the drive and
holding OPTION. This will give you a list of bootable drives to
select from (Select the DVD) for THIS boot without resetting the boot
drive as the System Preference does.