[G4] G4 won't read OS X upgrade CDs

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Sat Jul 21 19:45:57 PDT 2007

At 13:53 -0700 on 07/21/2007, Mike Lemos wrote about Re: [G4] G4
won't read OS X upgrade CDs:

>Hi robert,
>
>Thank you for your reply and the information provided. I have
>actually tried these suggestions and the disk does show up as
>bootable in the system preferences and I select it, restart and the
>computer does the mac "chime" after which it ejects the disk. When I
>try holding down the option key the DVD does not list. I also have
>tried holding down the "C" key and the disk simply ejects although I
>have had one other occurrence when doing this and that is it starts
>up in OS 9 with desktop messages appearing that state that since I
>have started up from the DVD certain functions will not be available.
>So after all this I was able to speak with tech support from the
>people I purchased the disk from and their feelings are that the DVD
>is a bad disk and they are going to replace it. (YAY!)
>So we'll see once I receive the new disk if my problem is solved. If
>you would like, once I do (or if) I'll update you so that you can be
>informed as to what ended up solving this issue. Let me know.
>
>Once again, I thank you for your help.
>Best.
>Mike Lemos

Yes please keep me updated. As you guessed I like to know the outcome
of my attempts to help <g>.

BTW: Failure to show up in the option-key list implies that the disk
has no System folder and is thus not bootable. You can check by just
mounting and opening the DVD.