[G4] Ethernet repair

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Wed Jun 20 07:49:25 PDT 2007

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Howard, if lightening got into your G4 and all that you lost was your
eNet port then consider yourself very lucky. The ethernet interface is
controlled by one chip and unless you have the special tools that are
needed to replace the chip without doing other damage to the
mother-board you will need to send your G4 into a repair shop, Apple
would be best even though they will charge the most.

Your best bet, if you have an open slot is to purchase an ethernet PCI
card.

You should also find out why the telephone company and/or your cable
company hasn't provided you with lightening protection. Lightening
protection is provide ether by a gas tube that shorts when the voltage
rises above the ionization point or by a carbon block which acts the
same way. The gas tube reacts faster and carbon can develop a short
path which shortens there life.

On Jun 20, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Howard Evans wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Seems like when we were away for the weekend there was a biggish storm
> up here on the coast of Maine and when we came home, though the
> computers were turned off, the router had been toasted and it would
> appear that the ethernet port on the G4 (quicksilver 933) doesn't work
> any more.
>
> What's involved in diagnosing the extent of the problem and what's the
> needed repair likely to be.  Can I do it or does it have to get sent
> away?
>
> Thanks for any insight.
>
> Howard

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC