[G4] G4 MDD: Os9 don't see Harddisk on ATA-6-bus

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 22 14:04:33 PDT 2007

> Hi everybody,
>
> I¹ve bought a second hand G4 MDD 2x1Ghz.
> She had 1 250 GB HardDisd inside on ata bus 6.
> I placed my 2 Harddisks of my old G4 450Mhz inside her connected on bus
> ATA-4.
> In macOsX everything is fine although she can¹t handlle HD¹s from more than
> 137Gb.
> But in Os9 She don¹t see any disk at ATA-6-bus even when I changed the disks
> on that bus.
>
> Is this normal and what can I do?
>
> Friendly regards
>
> Pat

Pat,
This is normal if you are not using the special version of 9.2.2 that
shipped with the MDD, the problem is that the MDD post-dates the release
of 9.2.2 and has a different ATA controller, as the minimum you require
the 'OS ROM' file from a working MDD system folder to access the ATA-100
bus, I can send you a copy of the one from mine if you like as I have
just been through the same problems, however I believe that various
other files were also altered for the MDD, I should know more in a few
days as I have a set of MDD install disks coming from the states that
should sort out all my problems.
Regarding the 250GB HDD, the MDD has got large drive support (one of the
few G4's that does!) and it can see all of the drive natively, if it is
not seeing it all then the drive may have been formatted on an older
machine (or possible with an early version of OSX, I don't know if all
versions of X had large drive support), certainly under 10.4x I can use
my whole 250GB Seagate.
Let me know if you need any help and I will try and do what I can.
Ben.