[G4] nonexistent disk icon

Roxylee roxylee at frontiernet.net
Fri Jun 29 18:50:40 PDT 2007

Hi, smart people.I need advice. My daughter recently bought a used G4
733 MHz AGP which had 2 small internal hard drives. She took these out
and installed a new 320 G hard drive. Yeh, I need to know the best way
to get it to recognize a drive larger than 128 G, but that's not the
main thing I need advice on. Two other problems:

1) After installing system 10.3.9 onto the new hd, the former hd icon
is also showing up on the desktop and in Disk Utility, although the
disk has been physically removed. Ejecting it makes it go away, but at
restart it reappears. She tried erasing it, no luck. Is there a way to
fix this?

2) She tried to install iLife 05, and the install disks appear to be
empty- just an alias shows up. I opened it on my computer and it was
there.

Anyone know what we can do to solve these 3 problems? (Please use
layman's terms and step by step non-tech language.:-)

Thank you muchly,

Roxylee