[G4] nonexistent disk icon

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sat Jun 30 10:13:23 PDT 2007

Hi everybody!

After listening to MacBreak Tech (a free, very geeky Mac podcast)
I've come to understand that one need only zap the PRAM once. The
superstition of doing so more than once came from one particular old
Mac model that needed it done twice to actually zap the PRAM.
Whatever that model was, it wasn't a G4. Some old 68k job.

Zapping ye olde PRAM may indeed help, but if not, and making numerous
smaller partitions doesn't help either, you may want to get a new
controller in the form of a PCI card. Just be sure it's something
like ATA 100 or 133 and is Mac-compatible.

As for iLife, I think Ronald is right. Check what kind of drive you
have (CD or DVD) and make sure you're using a compatible disc.

Eric