[G4] Smtp mail service

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:01:31 PST 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:19 AM, russells at strodtbeck.org wrote:

> I have a Qwest.com as my ISP. They provide no SMTP service. Anyone
> on the list accuainted with a program for Mac OS 10.3.9 that can
> create or emulate SMTP server? I see a couple for PC's. I would
> think one could set up a Mac to act as a SMTP server. I receive
> email Ok on download to Apple's Mail client but can send nothing out
> from Mail, must go to the Web based mail clinet to send Mail. Any
> suggestion appreicated.

10.3.x and later come with Postfix already installed. Postfix is one
of the best SMTPs around. I would suggest investigating Postfix
Enabler ($10, http://www.cutedgesystems.com/software/PostfixEnabler/)
or the enhanced version, MailServer. Postfix Enabler also lets you set
up your own IMAP and/or POP servers if you want.

Your other option is to search the net for help or get a Postfix book
(search Amazon, you want one of the first two hits, avoid Blum's book.)

You need to know about things like is port 25 being blocked by Qwest,
not being an open relay, smart hosting, and etc.

Another option is to get a free or paid for mail account and send your
mail via them. Google Mail has recently added the ability to pull all
of your POP enabled accounts into your Google account and they will
make mail sent in response to a message from one of the pulled
accounts look like you were responding from that account.

Phil