[G4] G4 400 (PCI) success

Celia Lawton-Livingstone lawli56 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:20:18 PST 2007

>Cely:  Greetings!
>
>I am running an Intel IMac and Sys X 10.4.8.  I have a copy of Ubuntu
>version 6.06.1 LTS for Mac.
>
>I haven't loaded it yet, but I thought I'd put it on a dedicated
>external disk just to become familiar with it -- learn a bit about
>Linux, mess around, etc.
>
>I am an old Mac hand with very little PC experience.
>
>What do you recommend?  Should I do it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>earle
>*

Hi earle,

I had Xubuntu 6.10  running nicely on my G4 before I installed the extra
Ram... I've got Ubuntu 6.10 running on my 2nd desktop PC as a dual boot and
have also run the live cd on this laptop to see if I can dual boot it here
too.  The only annoying thing about running it on  a PPC is that there is no
shockwave/flash version for Linux on a PPC.  Apart from that it's got some
great programs to download and play with, so I'd go for it. I'll probably
put it on an external drive when I an afford to buy one.

If you were going to put it on your mac you need a small "linux boot"
partitian for Linux to boot from in addition to the mac boot sector, plus a
swap partition... I usually have mine twice the size of the physical memory.

On a mac the boot process initiates with the mac boot sector, then the Linux
boot, then the system files in the root partition.  I'm not sure how it will
go on an external drive, but I'd be interested to know.

Cely