[G4] Mac Classic Environment

Celia Lawton-Livingstone lawli56 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 04:40:53 PST 2007

QUOTE: OS9 and older is classic.  I have 1 G3 1 G4 and 1 intel mac and do
not use classic at all. It you plan on running programs that are not
OSX you will need it.

>------------------------------

Hi Warren,

I've only been running this Mac with OS X for 2 days so at the moment I have
no idea what are OS X and OS 9 applications... so I suppose the question
really should have been "am I likely to need it?"

Actually as primarally a PC user I've got loads of questions I want to ask,
some of them I've found the answer to myself like "how do I/do I need to
defrad/optimize the drive."

But others like installing aps are eluding me... eg I've downloaded Firefox
and double-clicked on the file to install it but it doesn't do what I expect
it to do... install on the drive... it seems to exist as a volume (i think
that's what it's called) on the desktop which dismounts? when I shutdown.
Then the next time I want to use it i have to double-click on the .dmg file
again to "re-install" it... what am I doing wrong?

X11,  Onyx, Open Office, MSN Messenger and The gimp all installed on the
drive.  So I'm confused. ?(

Also iChat doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it.

Celia