[G4] Mac Classic Environment

tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 5 08:31:40 PST 2007

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 5:38 AM, Celia Lawton-Livingstone wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can someone explain to me what the classic environment is, do I
> > need it and how would i install it... peferably in terms a 5 year
> > old can understand cos I'm a bit confused about it. :)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Cely

Cely, to simplify this for you. If you have an older Mac, that is a power PC then you already have the classic environment available to you and you probably don't need to do anything. Only long time Mac users are likely to have any of the older OS 9 programmes and you as a Mac newbie are unlikely to ever need the classic environment.

If you have a new intel Mac the Classic environment cannot operate on your machine even if you want it to. Classic is now becoming history and is not part of the modern Mac world.

In other words, don't worry about it. I have Classic and have lots of older programmes, and I never use it anymore. There are some people who are more comfy with older programmes, and that is fine, it works for them, but you don't need it at all.