[G4] Video Card Upgrade Question

Preston Peek ppeek at nc.rr.com
Tue May 8 08:42:01 PDT 2007

> It just so happens that I have the 226BW. It's set to the proper
> resolution
> (1680 x 1050) and refresh rates (the refresh is set automatically by
> the Mac
> at 59.9). Incidentally, these values appear in the Preset Timing
> Mode chart
> (thanks for the URL), but for a VESA (not Mac) display mode, which
> may not
> have anything to do with anything, but thought I'd mention it.

>>Have you gone through the set up process built into the monitor? In
>>particular most monitor's have an Auto button that gets things close
>>to optimal.

> No distortion, but definitely not as crisp as I believe it should
> be--lines
> are not always clean, often jagged--some places (solid surfaces)
> seem to be
> moving in and out of focus, like when a video camera is trying to
> film a
> window that's giving it competing objects to focus on. In large
> swaths of
> color (sky, etc.) you can actually see soft, but definite pixilation.
>
> Two more bits of info: I cannot get text to appear cleanly; some
> jagged
> lines and very blurred, and even black text (like what I'm typing
> here) has
> a tint to it (red, green, blue). I've seen this kind of thing before
> when
> the resolution if off, but that's not the case here.
>
> Also, I've had an Acer AL2017 for the last couple of months, and had
> the
> same kinds of problems, so got rid of it. Could there be something
> in the G4
> itself that just doesn't like LCD screens?

>>Have you tried a different cable?

I've gone through the set up process, used the Auto button, and I'm using
the cable that came with the monitor, which I guess I could swap out, but
I'm not too hopeful about that. I was hoping the strange text might have
provided a clue.

I'm very grateful to all for the feedback, however. I'll welcome new ideas,
and if and when I get this figured out, I'll post it to the group.

Preston