[G4] iLife 6 with Panther

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Mon May 21 20:50:25 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm not sure this is the correct place to ask, but I'll start here.

1) Has anyone tried iMovie 6 and iDVD 6 with OS 10.3.9?  From the specs,
it should work.  I have a MDD Dual 1.25 GHZ PowerPC G4 with 1.5 GB DDR
SDRAM.

I am interested in version 6 because I have heard that it does not have
the 2GB limitation for imported files.  I have version 4 which cannot
import Quicktime files larger than 9 minutes or so.  I want to be able
rip footage from a DVD into a singe QT file to re-edit in iMovie.

2)  If I do decide to get iLife 6, what would be the best way to have
the option of reverting back to iMovie/iDVD 4 and Quicktime 6.5.2.  I
know that once I install QT 7, I cannot go back to QT 6 without
re-installing the OS.

I have 2 internal drives, only one of which has an OS installed.  I use
the larger drive mainly to store my video files.  Would it be best to
install a minimal OS 10.3, updated to 10.3.9 on the 2nd drive and
install iLife 6 on the 2nd drive?  Should I partition the 2nd drive and
install an OS and iLife 6 on a partition?  If so, how big of a partition?

I want to keep iLife 4 around until I am certain that I like iLife 6.
My camcorder works fine with iMovie 4.  You never know, it may not play
well with iMovie 6.

Thanks,
Carol