[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Tue May 29 21:36:37 PDT 2007

One of my favorite vendors is newegg.com.  They sell both enclosures and drives.  It is very easy to install a drive in an enclosure.  Yet another great choice is OtherWorldComputing, on the web as macsales.com.  They have an enclosure with a footprint just like the MacMini, called the miniStack.  I have the older version of that. I just bought the enclosure and installed my own HD that I had bought at newegg.com.   Look at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/  and, also, http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/.  You can also buy HDs on that site, but they are generally more expensive than at newegg.com.

The price of the drive will depend on its capacity.  So, expect to pay anywhere from about $60 to $100 for the drive and anywhere from about $30 to $70 for a firewire enclosure, depending on the other features (such as in the miniStack with USB 2.0 as well as FW and extra USB and FW ports).

--Steve