Fwd: [G4] Hard drive installation problem

C D T cdt at globaldsl.net
Sat Nov 24 12:37:11 PST 2007

Begin forwarded message:

> Actually Rich, it's 28.52 GB available on one 180 GB drive, and 29.23
> on the other media storage drive.   The new drive is not SCSI ( Link
> to Drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST3750640A/ ).  My G4
> simply came with the two ATA drives in the rear tray, then I added the
> new ATA drive in the front tray.  I don't think the two original
> drives are in a raid array.
>
> Floy
>
> On Nov 23, 2007, at 9:51 PM, Richard Klein wrote:
>
>> On Nov 23, 2007 8:19 PM, Kenneth Smith <kdorpat at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>>> Thanks Ronald,
>>>
>>> My G4 was a build-to-order purchase with two 180 GB drives so that i
>>> can do media projects.  After I installed the new 750 GB drive and
>>> made it my system drive, I used Disk Utility to erase and format the
>>> old 180 GB system drive, but saw no need to do anything to the other
>>> one for which I only used to store media.

>>> snip

Assuming you got the PATA and not the SATA version of the New drive, I
would install the New drive as master and the reformatted drive as
slave in the rear tray and install the second of the original drives in
the front tray for storage and maybe scratch files.

I have a 2002 Quicksilver (dual 1 gig) with two ATA drives in the rear
tray, and 3 SCSIs center and front.  All three work fine and show full
capacity.  I do allow the computer to put the drives to sleep when
possible so I sometimes have wait for them to wake up.  Other than
that, no shortcomings.

Dan