[G4] Hard drive installation problem

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Nov 25 23:54:38 PST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 5:19 PM, Kenneth Smith wrote:

> Can you think of anything else I did or didn't do that would
> diminish the available disk space, and anything else that I might
> try to restore the full disk space?

After reading all the posts regarding your problem, I am still at a
loss for a clear explanation of the cause.

I do have a few questions about the drives and the formatting.

What version of Disk Utility did you use, and is it the same version
you used with the larger drive?
Did you format the drives in the same machine you are trying to run
them in?
When you formatted the drives, did you check the volume format
carefully and are you sure that you were configuring each drive as a
single volume?
Did you elect to install the OS-9 driver?
Have you tried to mount the problem drives individually without the
bigger drive connected at all?
What PCI card are you using for the additional large drive?
What kind of ribbon does the PCI card have - 40 wire or 80 wire - and
how long is it?
What kind of ribbon does the motherboard have - 40 wire or 80 wire -
and is it the original ribbon?
Have you tried mounting the problem drives from the PCI card ribbon
instead of the motherboard ribbon?

Some of these questions are elementary, but often a solution is
overlooked because of its simplicity. It never hurts to go back to the
basics.