[G4] Hard drive installation problem

chx chux at aapt.net.au
Tue Nov 27 13:23:24 PST 2007

Hi Chaps,

Who'd have thought that 7-pass formatting was what was needed?

Clearly Kenneth has the (P)ATA version of the HD and not the SATA
version (there's two links on the page he referred to). I suspect
that the advance in 'plug and play' to which he refers is 'cable
select'.

  I'd be interested to see what the difference in performance is
between the ATA5 and ATA6 busses on the MDD. Perhaps Kenneth could
benchmark  (http://www.xbench.com) some drive tests before/after
moving the drive?

BTW, My QS2002/800  (sn#SG227B1BM1X) supports two 400GB drives on the
ATA5 bus, and I believe all subsequent Power Macs will have 'large
drive capability' (>128GB).

Regards,

Charles