[G4] Re: Hard drive installation problem

Harold Polk hpolkscw at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 19:37:26 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:58 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> You can mount the 750 drive in any location that you want. Once a
> drive is designated as the "startup" drive, it will be used as such
> until you select and designate a different drive for that purpose.

The above is true but I would put it in the rear tray as that buss is
faster.  However, my G4 MDD dual processor has two busses for the hard
drives, yours may also.  The rear tray (2 drives) is ATA/100 and the
forward bay is ATA/66.  If you put the main drive in the front bay you
will see it being a little slower.  I have two Seagate 150gig drives
in the rear bay (master (Leopard) and slave (Tiger) selected) and the
original 80gig ((Panther) master) in the front bay.  This
configuration works well.  My Leopard drive used to be my backup drive
so better get another one or a new machine ;-))
Also you might want to look into "cable select" as that might be a
better option.