[G4] Booting MDD G4 to OS 9.2.2 from OSX 3.9

jonny g4 at salemoregon.com
Tue Oct 2 12:25:35 PDT 2007

Hello List.

I have a 1.25 GHz dual MDD (FW 400) with original install disks.

After numerous attempts, I am unable to boot directly to OS 9.2.2 on
the "B" HD.

What happens is I get the disk ? icon, and get trapped, unable to
boot -or- reselect the startup disk to get back to "A" HD with OSX
3.9.  I found a workaround to get back to "A" HD with 3.9, but it's a
very messy process.

My original disks are:

Power Mac G4
Mac OS X - Install Discs 1 & 2
Mac OS version 10.2.1

Power Mac G4
Software Restore - Discs 1-4
Mac OS Version 9.2.2

I have 2 Hard Drives.

HD "A":  Boots OSX 3.9 and 9.2 for Classic.  My primary work drive.

HD "B": Boots OSX 2.1 (just reinstalled as part of the workaround).

My goal is to boot to OS 9.2.2 on HD "B" so I can run some legacy
software without using OSX 3.9 Classic mode.

I am able to reformat and begin anew on HD "B", whatever is necessary.

Can anyone with an MDD machine booting to OS 9 offer assistance please?

I'm stuck.  Thanks.

Jonny

///