[G4] WInd Tunnel Getting Louder

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 06:27:45 PDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Inga Renault <wolfiebear at coldreams.com> wrote:
> My MDD 866 WInd Tunnel started getting louder a couple of months ago.
> It seems to be holding now, but really, it is quite loud.....have to
> turn the TV on pretty loud to be able to hear it well.
>
> Is it just a matter of replacing or oiling the fan, or does it mean
> something further than that? When I first got the machine, the
> processor was fried, and then it sounded even louder than this...new
> processoer quieted it doen. I don't even now if the two are related
> at this point or not. (Did that make sense?)

Get your ear close to the case (or use a stethoscope) and figure out
what part of the case the noise is coming from.  If it's coming from
the power supply, you'll probably need to replace the power supply.  I
haven't opened up a Mac power supply, but replacing the fan in one
probably requires soldering.  Other fans can be replaced more easily.
I don't have any experience with the MDDs, but I imagine their
construction is similar to other G4s.

Computer fans should never be oiled.  When they get noisy (or fail
completely) you just replace them.  I'd go to OWC
(http://eshop.macsales.com/) or eBay for replacements.

--
Rich