[G4] A Question about power connectors on QS2002

Charles Williams chux at aapt.net.au
Sat Oct 6 22:35:17 PDT 2007

Hello again,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how many HD power connectors there
are meant to be in a QS2002? The power connectors are numbered from
1-7 on my computer (e.g. P3 goes to the lower HD in slot 3, and P7
goes to the DVD). This means that there is space for 4 HDs, but only
power connectors for 3? Is this correct?

Now, there's the issue of the useless zip drive bay. Presumably the
power connector for the ZIP drive (P6) could be used (with an
extension lead) to power another HD in one of the four lower
positions?

I had thought about installing a 2nd optical drive in the lower bay,
but the amount of metal work involved seems to make it not worth the
trouble. When I first saw a QS I assumed that there was room for 2
optical drives (I don't suppose I was alone in this, and Apple wasn't
inclined to fill everyone's wish list in one go - a bit like
old-school GM)

I note that there is mention that the zip drive is on a slower bus,
presumably this includes the DVDRW drive as well? Is it worth running
the DVDRW drive off the faster bus? Right now, I just grabbed the
original CDRW, set it SLave  and hooked it to the spare HD connector
plugged in P7 and away it goes.

So, I imagine that when I get round to running 2 internal SATA drives
I can then take the IDE ribbon connector from the LS bus of the
mother board and plug it into the bus at the bottom. This will mean
that the DVD and whatever else I shoe-horn into the lower bay
(probably a HD) will be running off the faster bus (and presumably
happier with it).

Regards,

Charles
--

"The question is", said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so
many different things."