[G4] Adding a Western Digital 160HD

Richard Northouse rnorthouse at wi.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 19:25:58 PDT 2007

John,

The controller can only address 128 gb -- all in one piece or in many. Your
experimental results are accurate -- maximum 128 gb. But your system will
function fine, you just won't have access to 160-128 = 32 gb of your drive.
You will be OK. But if you ever get a pci controller card that can access
greater than 128 gb, then you will need to be very careful because now that
missing 32 gb will be available and your drive will probably need to be
reformatted, which will cause loss of your data. But if you don't add this
card, you will be fine. Just a maximum of 128gb .

rich