[G4] Power Mac G4 Hard Drive installation info request

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Oct 9 11:58:05 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 2:24 PM, John Niven wrote:

> I think there is some confusion between two different
> threads!
>
> I was trying to address Cecils problems of fitting a
> 50GB SCSI drive he bought from eBay into an AGP, while
> you where addressing another question about fitting a
> 500Gb ATA/100 drive into a QS(?). The second is very
> straightforward (just do it), the first is much
> harder.
>
> Oh dear! Hope that makes it clear. We still don't know
> what model drive Cecil actually has.
>
> John
>
> --- Pat Smith <patorkd at suddenlink.net> wrote:

Totally agree, Fitting the 500 gig seagate into a Quicksilver is easy
till you get to the third one.
The second one is very easy. To do it right, you are probably going
to have to remove the HD tray.
It is screwed to the chassis with a flattened screw. two or three
various Phillips head screwdrivers might be needed.
There might be a screw or two left over, or a spot where you miss one.
The formatting and so forth are extremely simple using Disk Utility.

Cecil's problem is not so easy. I believe he said it was silver . I
think he has like a G4 digital audio.
  The questions seem to be whether this machine was already somehow
configured for SCSI before he got it,
Or whether he's just confused and got beat on what would be a
fabulous drive in a Quadra or my 9600 but
usually do not need to come into play with  newer computers unless
you are running some piece of third party hardware that likes a
dedicated SCSI
somewhere. Otherwise I cannot imagine it being worth the trouble.
(not to mention the cost )
I still don't think he's clear on this.