[G4] Seagate hard drive Installation

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Tue Oct 9 16:17:09 PDT 2007

Pat Smith wrote:
> I'm reasonably proficient with tools, but I've never installed a hard
> drive.   I want to install  a 500 gb Seagate hard drive
> (  http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST3500630A/  ) in my G4.
>
> My G4 is as follows:
>
> Processor                 065-4189  Dual 1.42GHz w/2MB L3
>                 Memory                    065-3707  2.0GB PC2700 DDR
> SDRAM-4 DIMMs
>                 Hard Drive                065-4144  2X180GB Ultra
> ATA-7200rpm
>                 Optical Drive             065-4099  Super (DVD-R/CD-RW)
>                 Bay 2                     065-4149  Combo (DVD/CD-RW)
>                 Graphics Support          065-4155  NVIDIA GeForce4
> Titanium
>                 PCI Support               065-1695  None
>                 Fibre Chl PCI             065-4015  None
>                 Modem                     065-3138  56K Internal Modem
>                 BlueTooth                 065-4143  BlueTooth
>                 Airport                   065-1899  None
>                 Keyboard Language         065-4094  Apple Pro Keyboard
>                 Mac OS Language           065-4069  Mac OS
>                 Server Mac OS Language    065-4271  None
>                 Country Kit               065-4068  Country Kit
>
> I have the manual that came with the G4 that shows how to install a hard
> drive.
>
> QUESTION:   Is this a plug-and-play project, or should I take my Mac to
> Apple and have them install it?
>
> kd

You can also view/download installation documents from OWC
(macsales.com). They may have both PDF and video guides for your model
computer.
A word on jumper settings: Some computers use Master/Slave only, and
some also use Cable Select. My 2001 Quicksilver uses Cable Select, and
that is what I prefer. Check your computer documentation to see which
you can/should use.

You say you want to install a drive. The assumption is that you are
adding this drive to the one(s) you already have in your computer.

If you are adding this drive to a cable that already has a drive
attached to it, then you need to determine the jumper setting of the
drive already on the cable. If master, jumper your new drive for slave.
OR if your computer allows, jumper both drives for Cable Select, if you
choose to.

Sometimes it is important to keep the drive jumpered master on the end
(usually black connector) of the cable, and the slave drive attached in
the middle (to the usually gray connector).

Be careful to avoid static electricity discharge while working inside
the computer. Grounding yourself by touching the metal case of the power
supply and not shuffling your feet (on the carpet) is usually all that
is necessary.

When the drive is physically installed and your computer is restarted,
go into Disk Utility to initialize your drive or partition it however
you like.

That's it. It really is easier than it sounds. The hardest thing for me
often is getting the end power connector off the old drive. Sometimes
they are on there pretty tight.

Plug and play? Yes!

--
Regards,