[G4] itunes song info

Charles Williams chux at aapt.net.au
Wed Oct 10 15:23:27 PDT 2007

Hi, (sending this again to try to work out what I did wrong)

One thing is that to get the song/track  info. you will need to be
connected to the internet so that itunes can look-up the CD that
you're copying from in a CD database. This will only work if the CD
has the same track lengths and gaps as the original(s).

Once a CD has been 'recognised' in this way it should be recognised
again the next time that you put the CD in the computer, whether it
is connected to the internet or not. Furthermore, this info is stored
and shared between apps, so that Toast will recognise a CD that was
looked-up by itunes.

However, this not quite the same as CD-text. CD-text will only work
on CD players with CD text capability (e.g Marantz CD6000, Arcam CD72
to name a couple that have passed through my household). It is still
useful though, because under certain circumstances the (my) computer
can also read the CD-text data, for example if you copy 'Track 1'
from a CD text CD with Toast (by dragging), then in the process of
copying Toast will read the CD-text data and name the track
accordingly. Then, if you export the AIFF  (e.g. to the desktop) and
drag it into iTunes, it will keep its 'name' (but no other info.)

If you're making a compilation CD, then you will lose the CD info
soft-data looked up by iTunes (because the CD is no longer
recognisable in CD database, and may not be stored on the computer
that you've inserted the disk into), but if you burn it as CD you
will keep the CD text hard-data (the name of the CD is the
compilation's iTunes folder name)... but iTunes does need seem
capable of reading this data!

All is not lost as there is a little script called "CD text to CD
info", and you can run this and it will attempt to extract the
CD-text data and insert as iTunes CD-info. What's neat is that your
compilation CD will then be 'remembered' and when you reinsert it it
will show up the track names (although you will lose the original CD
Album names unless you to steps to preserve them by pasting them into
the Names or Artist fields).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

charles

--

"The question is", said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so
many different things."