Static/Grounding; was Re: [G4] Seagate hard drive Installation

dkmnow dkmnow at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 01:01:29 PDT 2007

--- John Niven <senseamp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> One further point. All "grounding" mats, wriststraps
> ect. are NOT directly connected to ground. They
> actually have a resistor (100Kohms I think) in
> series.
> If you connect your body directly to ground, you
> will
> increase your risk of death if you accidentally
> touch
> a high voltage.
>
> That's a cheery thought!
>
> John

Heh.

There's another argument in favor of always
disconnecting power.

I do a lot of (non-pro) electronics work, but a wrist
strap is a bit much for my purposes.  Instead, I have
a power strip on my desk with a nice meaty machine
screw stuck in one of the ground holes.  I frequently
reach over and touch the screw, and then briefly touch
the chassis of my work at the same time, and then
generally stay in contact with the chassis while
working.  I repeat the process any time I've been out
of contact with my work for more than a few seconds.

I've been doing this for so long that it's become
habit.  Never smoked a chip yet.

*whistles innocently*

Dave