[G4] USB2 G4/800

Tyranny Bean tyrannydesign at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 06:18:05 PDT 2007

I bought the IOGear 5 port (4 external - 1 internal). It works great.

I had to purchse the 2.0 after a client of mine pulled a thumb drive from
the back and snapped a port. Sleep is an issue. Before, we constantly
putting the G4 to sleep when we were done using it. The DA tend to be a
little loud and we didn't like always turning it on and off. But, now that
it will not wake from sleep we are forced to shut down or leave it running.
We usually just shut down at night. I don't know of any fixes for the sleep
issues.

~Tyranny [G4 DA - 1.2ghz — 768 RAM]

On 10/15/07, Richard Klein <richspk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/07, Charles Williams <chux at aapt.net.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You'll get only USB1.1 performance (i.e. dismal) unless you add a
> > USB2 PCI card. These can be had quite cheaply (e.g. US$20), but I
> > don't know how well they integrate into the rest of the OS (e.g.
> > whether there are sleep issues).
> >
> > Perhaps someone will recommend a card?
>
> I've been really happy with this 5-port IOGear card from OWC:
> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGEAR/GIC251U/
> They're listing it at $18 right now.  It should make syncing with MP3
> players or downloading pictures from your camera faster, too.
>
> But I've never used the sleep feature on any of my computers; they're
> either on or off.  So, I don't know if this card affects my Mac's
> ability to sleep.
>
> --
> Rich

"I want to know God's thoughts. The rest is just details." - Albert Einstein