[G4] USB2 HD

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 07:10:37 PDT 2007

I'm a little nuts so this advice may not work for you.

As it happened I had two 36Gb WD Raptor SATA drives
spare. These are 10krpm very fast. I needed an
external backup drive so I bought a Galaxy Metal gear
box from Newegg. This houses two sata drives and can
do a raid 0 stripe. It is a FW800 interface but also
has FW400.

I also bought an ADAPTEC FireConnect 8300 FW800 card
for my G4. I like this card, it is a 64bit pci card so
makes the most of the the older 33MHz pci busses.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my system drive onto
this external box. I can then boot from the box and
it's REALLY fast. You can't really tell the
difference.

Anyway, it's alot of money but can easily be used with
future upgrades. Very flexible.

John