[G4] Could the problem be a weak power supply?

Bruce Ryan Nakamura galilao at lava.net
Tue Oct 16 17:19:31 PDT 2007

Hello,

Can a weak power supply in my Powermac G4 MDD cause kernal panics when

I partitioned my 80GB hard drive into 3 partitions and loaded Panther
successfully off of the genuine Apple Install/Restore DVD to the first
partition.  However, when I tried to install Panther onto the second
partition, the installation kept crashing and I kept getting a "You
have to restart..." message, finally I gave up.

I don't have problems installing Panther through the Firewire 400 port
at the Genius bar in the Apple Store.  I am speculating that the DVD
drive needs more power than the Firewire port and that voltage
fluctuations from a weak power supply could be causing kernal panics
which result in a crashed installation.

I am further speculating that the reason why the first installation
went ok and the second installation crashed is because the power supply
warmed up and began to get weak.

What do you think?

Bruce Ryan Nakamura