[G4] USB2 HD

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 16 17:50:24 PDT 2007

I haven't investigated the sleep problems with usb 2 cards but I do have some experience as follows.  All in a HDD dual 1.25 with FW 400 and OS 10.3.9. I generally put the computer to sleep manually when I am not using it.

1.  I installed a StarTech 6 port usb 2 card PCI625USB21

2.  I previously had been using a Belkin 4 port USB 1 powered hub.

3.  I started having kernel panics sometimes upon sleep.

4.  I took the hub out of service and connected everything to the available ports on the rear of the computer.  The kernel panics stopped but then upon sleep one of two things sometimes happened. (a) computer would freeze after shutting off monitor and before cpu sleep and had to be shutdown with the start up button. (b) computer could not be awakened after sleep requiring the same hard shut down.

5.  I noticed that the item 4 problems occurred when I had bus powered hardware attached.  By remembering to disconnect any bus powered items before sleep the problem has not occurred again. My HP 3050 aio and my Canon i9100 printers have not caused any problems as far as I know.  My card reader and my iMic both do cause problems.  I haven't tested my Canon bus powered scanner as yet.

There are a many variables involved and I haven't spent a lot of time checking out logs or anything else since all seems to be fine with the noted precautions taken.  I hope my observations might help someone on the list.  Hopefully upgrading the OS will fix all of these problems.

S. Kennedy